Science is all around us, it’s exciting and it underpins the future Victorians choose for our state as a valuable basis for objective reasoning and decision making.
The Royal Society of Victoria convenes a community network of science practitioners, adherents and enthusiasts to share our passion for science, with the aim of promoting education, literacy and investment in the science disciplines for the betterment of the Victorian community.
The Society achieves this aim by:
- assisting and encouraging young scientists through community outreach;
- fostering, acknowledging and rewarding excellence in the sciences through a suite of distinguished fellowships, awards and prizes;
- promoting science education so that up-coming generations are engaged with and literate about science;
- promoting science understanding in the wider community, and;
- advocating on issues related to science and the science community.
The Society provides a forum for informed discussion and debate of scientific and technological issues relevant to the community. Our membership includes scientists from a wide range of disciplines, which helps promote understanding across the disciplines. The Society’s program includes lectures and symposia on hot topics in science, exploring the latest in scientific research in Victoria and worldwide.